Kolkata Brevets puts Kolkata on International cycling map
On 29th November’2016, Kolkata joined other major cities across the globe to host Brevets, a form of endurance cycling held under the aegis of French cycling club Audax Club Parisien (ACP).
Brevets is short for Brevets de Randonneurs Mondiaux (BRM), which has fixed distances to be completed within specified time limits.
Discover on Wheels (DoW), the city’s only registered cycling group that has bagged the franchise to organize the rides in Kolkata. Audax India Randonneur, the Indian chapter of ACP, will oversee the rides.
Brevets are held in France, Germany, Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, South Korea, Denmark, UAE, Spain, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel and Japan. In India, Brevets are held in Delhi, Chandigarh, Gurgaon, Ahmedabad, Mumbai, Pune, Bangalore, Chennai and Hyderabad.
Rides of 200, 300, 400 and 600kms are approved and governed by ACP. Any particular rider who finishes all these 4 rides in one Brevet calendar is bestowed with the title of Super Randonneur.
A rider in order to successfully complete the ride has to finish the distances within a stipulated cut off time to be eligible for a finisher Randonneur medal which come directly from France governing body – ACP
200km (13.5 hour time cut-off),
300km (20 hours cut-off),
400km (27 hours cut-off),
600km (40 hours cut-off)
Instructions/Cautions for riders
Brevets de Randonneur Mondiaux (BRMs) are conducted under the rules of AUDAX CLUB PARISIEN. DoW also follows the same rules for the centurion Rides. All participants are expected to have read and understood the Rules (link below)
Please clarify any doubts before the ride.
- Please report at the Start Point 60 mins before the start time, to allow for inspections and to fill out your brevet cards.
- If not paid, Entry fee is to be paid at start point before Inspections. (Medal fees are separate and not included in Registration fees.)
- INSPECTIONS: before being handed your brevet card you will be inspected for
- Front and rear lights
- Spare batteries (not required for 200-km BRM)
- Reflective vest
- Rider numbers displayed on front and rear of cycle, secured well in clear plastic (this will not be provided by organizers)
- Credit/Debit/ATM card, number will be noted for reference (to be used at ATMs specified as unmanned control points)
- Riders without any of the above will not be given brevet cards and will therefore not be allowed to ride
- Hand over your brevet cards to the volunteers at each control point to be signed, stamped and time of arrival noted. It is your responsibility to retain your brevet card with you at all times throughout the ride.
- You will be given a print out of route details
- Please call the volunteer at the next control point and ride co-ordinator in case you are abandoning the ride for any reason. Inform the ride-co-ordinator on your return to Kolkata.
- While most control are at restaurants/dhabas, you can suit yourselves and eat, water up and rest as you need
- Carry your debit/credit cards for the unmanned controls and some cash as instructed
- In case of unmanned controls, retain receipts of the restaurants and the ATMs and hand them in along with your brevet card.
- Fill in the ride details and personal details in your brevet cards
- Hand over your brevet card to the volunteer/official at the end point
- After homologation, you will receive it with the brevet medals in 4-6 months. You will be informed of their arrival. DoW Centurion Medals will be given immediately after completion
Please check out the route map, read the details of the route and get your doubts and directions clarified before the ride from the ride coordinator